Lemon Ricotta Crepe

It's 11:30 pm and I have been working since 7am, so naturally it's time that I update my blog for the first time since January. I'm home for the summer so updating will be a lot easier now that I have access to things like... a kitchen. But don't fret, this past year marks the last time I will be without a kitchen for what I hope is eternity.

Since I've been home I've already been a disaster in the kitchen. I decided to make my Mom orange marmalade for Mother's Day. What a fail. Discovering the world of canning while trying to hide the smells, sounds and look of orange marmalade from my mom was just enough stress to tip the scale from fun adventure to canning disaster. The marmalade looked more like glaze and never set. I felt like a 3rd grader giving my mom a shitty macaroni necklace for Christmas. Luckily, a little cornstarch and water, sugar and lemon juice thickened it up and it slightly resembles marmalade now.

Crepes are a little less disastrous for me and I made these with whatever was leftover in our fridge. I had the crepe mix pre-made from the day before so there won't be any pictures for that.

1 cup all-purpose flour
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup water
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons butter

Whisk together flour and eggs. Gradually add in the milk and water, stirring to combine. Add the salt and butter; beat until smooth.

Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium high heat. Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle, using approximately 1/4 cup for each crepe. Tilt the pan with a circular motion so the batter coats the surface evenly.

Cook the crepe about two minutes, loosen with a spatula, flip and cook the other side.
(Of course I forgot to take a picture of the crepe when it was actually cooked)


Now for the filling, the night before I filled these with bananas and salted caramel fudge. But I am getting pretty bored with the usual chocolate and [insert fruit here] crepe. Although they are delicious the crepe world is begging for so much more than that.

1 pound ricotta
2 eggs, beaten
juice and zest of one lemon
1/3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon butter

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Beat eggs (This baby whisk is adorable)

Combine ricotta, eggs, lemon zest, lemon juice and sugar in a medium bowl.

Stir

Divide the filling among the crepes

And it's done! I added strawberries to mine but the recipe calls for blueberry sauce to be drizzled on top. Either way, it's delightful. It was definitely a lighter alternative to a dessert crepe.




0 comments:

Post a Comment